When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals
How will you make an impact?
Within the Purification Business of Thermo Fisher Scientific we are searching for a Staff Scientist - Chemist responsible for design and development of new purification products serving the biotech and bio-pharmaceutical industries. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced industry scientist who enjoys working with emerging technology to join a dynamic and growing business pioneering novel purification tools and methods for emerging biologics.
This position is ideally suited to a bench scientist with experience in polymer chemistry and bio-conjugation who thrives in a fast-paced team environment. Experience or understanding in the area of product development for bioprocess purification is a strong plus.
What will you do?
- Design and development of surface functions and bio-conjugation technologies for biomolecule purification solutions that meet performance specifications.
- Develop and perform analytical methods to surface characterization and assessment of material performance.
- Utilize statistical tools and design of experiments (DOE) effectively and efficiently to evaluate designs, optimize process and understand process tolerance to ensure new product developed with appropriate design control and quality attributes.
- Draft process SOPs and partner with cross function groups to transfer process into manufacturing environment.
- Ability to lead technical efforts to troubleshoot issues that may arise in prototype screening and process development.
- Ability to investigate technical challenges, formulate plan to find a solution, and execute on appropriate time schedule.
- Maintain records to support regulatory and intellectual property filings.
- Maintain a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with current scientific literature, competing technologies and/or products.
How will you get here?
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- MS or equivalent in polymer chemistry, biochemistry or related fields with significant industrial experience or Ph.D. or equivalent degree with 5+ years of meaningful lab experience.
- Demonstrated and documented ability to perform all job requirements listed in this posting.
- Demonstrated success in surface grafting polymerization, surface modification and bio-conjugation in an essential.
- Demonstrated experience in development of chromatography media is a strong plus.
- Excellent skills with instrumental analysis including chromatography, analytical HPLC, surface area and pore size analysis, or other material characterization technologies such as FTIR and spectroscopy is required.
- Experience on biomolecule purification including affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion, HIC, and/or reversed-phase techniques is an advantage.
- Experience in process development and scale up of functionalized media is an advantage.
- Must be flexible, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and work efficiently to be able to satisfy specific timelines and deliverables.
- Excellent English technical writing skills for creation of documents required for articulation of ideas, proposing new projects, planning experiments in a group setting, and preparing SOPs.
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and organizational skills.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Associated topics: biochemistry, ceramic, chemistry, formulation, glass, latex, material, material science, polyurethane, rubber
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...